Empire Inn and Suites would like to welcome all our guests to the County! Prince Edward County, known simply as The County, is home to a vibrant and historical culture with roots planted as far back as 1792. When planning your trip to The County don’t forget to include some of the places that bring thousands of people back every year. The Sandbanks Provincial Park, particularly the Outlet Beach, is one of our favourite places to spend those long hot summer days. The Sandbanks is located only 12 minutes from Empire Inn! We also make a point to visit Slicker’s on our way back for some of the best homemade county ice cream around. Slickers is located right here in Bloomfield, a four minute walk from the Empire Inn.
If you’re visiting The County this summer here are a few of the annual festivals and events that you won’t want to miss!
- Spring Countilicious (April 1st to April 24th): Your chance to experience the renowned dining of the County at affordable prices. County Chefs have created unique three course meals including an appetizer, entree and dessert priced at $30-$35 per person.
- County POP Music Festival (April 30th): Participate in the timeless tradition of revelling in music, food and family to welcome the magic that is springtime in the County.
- Walleye World Fishing Tournament (First weekend of May): Pickerel/Walleye season opens the first of May. The Walleye World Fishing Derby is a live release event the first weekend in May. Big fish to catch and big prizes to be won. Bay of Quinte is known as the Walleye Capital of the World.
- Terrior (May 14th): Prince Edward County’s wine celebration. Wineries serve their own unique county-produced wines, featuring the new spring releases. – a must!!
- Spring Birding Festival (May 14th-15th, 21st-23rd): Weekend activities include workshops on birding, insects, wildflowers and photography with a hospitality tent where visitors can post sightings, share information and just hang out.
- Quarter Moon Coffee House (May to September): The anything-goes, everybody-welcome open stage coffee house returns for another summer of music every other Thursday evening.
- Welcome Weekend (May 21st to 22nd): Pay 1 admission and visit all five museum sites in the County.
- Antique Show and Sale (May 21st to 22nd): Located at the Crystal Palace in Picton.
- Quinte Isle Bluegrass Celebration (May 26th-29th): Featuring local, regional and national bands, bringing together the finest in bluegrass music.. Join us for a weekend of music, food, jamming, fun and friendship.
- Terrior Run (May 27th – 28th): 11k run among the winery back roads.
- Great Canadian Cheese Festival (June 4th to 5th): The best cheesemakers from P.E.I. to Vancouver Island offer cheeses to taste and buy at the only pan-Canadian showcase of artisan cheese.
- Canvas the County (June 15 to July 10) 100 County artists, 100 works of art at 100 businesses across the County.
- Art in the County (June 24th to July 10th): Original works by County artists and artisans at this annual juried exhibition and show hosted by the PEC Arts Council. Enjoy paintings, photographs, jewellery, sculpture, fibre arts and glass.
- Fibre-Fest (June 25th): Visit Rose House Museum to see some traditional fibre-arts in action and the site’s historic costumes from the collection!
- Quinte International Air Show (June 25th to 26th): For the first time since 2009, featuring the Snowbirds, the CF-18 Demonstration Team, the SkyHawks as well as civilian acts.
- Chapel Service at the White Chapel (June): You are warmly invited to the annual service in the chapel where the earliest settlers sang their hymns – a chapel that has been a place of worship longer than any other church of Methodist origin in Ontario.